Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back to Basics: The Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

I was never really a big fan of doing Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses when I started out on my natural journey.  I kept reading how it worked as a clarifier.  I even watched (and understood) KimmayTube's videos on pH Balance and knew how it worked to close the hair cuticle.  Still, no matter how many times I tried, it just didn't seem to do anything for my hair.  Then I found out about the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar by Bragg's.  I thought maybe that would make a difference but it still seemed like nothing was happening.

My hair after an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
(detangled with the Denman Brush)
Recently, I decided to get "back to basics" and start washing my hair more often.  I don't want to use shampoo everytime so I sometimes co-wash and then follow that with a vinegar rinse.  At first, I kept getting the same blah response.  Finally, by accident I think, I poured more vinegar into the container than usual.  Then, I filled it the rest of the way with water from the shower head like I always do.  I could tell right away that something was different.  I could feel the conditioner slipping down my strands.  It was actually removing all of the extra and giving me a clean feeling without leaving my hair stripped.  I left it in for a few minutes before doing a lukewarm rinse.  When I got out, I noticed how soft and fluffy my hair felt. 

I honestly couldn't believe how good my hair looked.  I didn't even want to put anything else in it because I was afraid to mess it up.  Now, whenever I do an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse, I always make sure that I'm using enough vinegar.  I always eyeball it but I would say it's at least a 1/4 cup (at the bottom of a tall water bottle) and then I fill it to the top with regular water.  I'm so glad I decided to try it again.  It definitely works for me...finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails