Monday, January 27, 2014

Straight Natural Hair: Prepping My Hair for Heat

www.curlyincolorado.com  Straight Natural Hair
"Platform" Flat Iron with 1" plates
by FHI 
I am proud to say that I'm finally coming to the end of my four month No Heat Challenge.  The challenge started on October 1st of 2013 and ends on February 1st, 2014.  I was able to get through the holiday season without using heat to style my hair.  This is a first for me because I'm known for wearing my hair straight for special occasions.   This challenge taught me that there are plenty of other styles for when I want something more exciting.

In my no heat challenge video I explained that I would be straightening my hair and doing a length check in February.  Then I will see if giving my hair a break from the heat resulted in more length retention.  Now that the day is fast approaching, I've been thinking of ways to fortify my hair so that it will be ready for the heat.  My first thought was to use the Aphogee 2 Step protein treatment because it is known for it's ability to strengthen the hair.  I've been experiencing some breakage though so I thought maybe I would address that issue first before doing such a strong treatment.


www.curlyincolorado.com Straight Natural Hair
Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment for
extra protection against heat and breakage
That led me to thinking about some of the things I did in the beginning of my journey when I had fewer problems with my hair.  Back then, I used a whipped shea butter mix that I made myself.  I was also a huge fan of olive and coconut oils for deep treatments.  Another thing I did were deep conditioning treatments one time per week, without fail.  Well, my regimen has gotten a little simpler but I think that some of these things were working for me so I'm bringing a few of them back.

Whenever I had dryness or breakage before, I always did moisturizing deep treatments twice a week until the issue was resolved.  After that, I would go back to once per week.  In that fashion, I deep conditioned last week using Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, for moisture, under a hooded dryer for about 30 minutes.  A few days later, I co-washed and  then used the new Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Strong version.  I would consider this conditioner a light protein treatment.  I wanted to alternate the moisture and protein treatments for balance.  Thankfully the Aussie conditioner also gave excellent slip so detangling was a breeze.

This week I still may do the Aphogee 2 step treatment but then, the day before straightening, I plan on doing nothing but moisture.  For this, I revisited an old video by Patchouli85 where she explains how to deep condition with coconut oil for moisture and honey for shine.  It's a pre-poo treatment so you end up washing it out before using the heat.  The last time I did it my hair was so shiny and soft.  That's exactly what my hair needs.

It's so funny how right now the best thing for my hair is what I started doing at the beginning of my hair journey.  I'm just glad that I'm finally getting back on the right track.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome article! Have you noticed any other differences in your hair without using heat besides possible length retention and breakage?

    P.S.: Coconut Oil has protein powers as well as the moisturizing superpower... so you'll be getting a healthy dose of both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have noticed that my roots are much thicker than my ends which is a result of no heat for so long. I started the challenge in Oct. but actually haven't used the flat iron or blow dryer since August. I do like the coconut oil for deep conditioning. I'm also trying olive oil again for added moisture. My hair is already feeling much better. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. I have been using this flat iron and product for years. It's really great. I love them both. I actually only use these twos for regular straightening of my natural. I can vouch for this. Great post. Good details. Thank You!

    ~ Sonja
    www.sonjaskygatlin.com
    LIFESTYLE BLOGGER: For the Modern Age Woman

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails