Thursday, September 23, 2010

Natural Style-Flat Twist-Out



 
While I was transitioning, I learned how to flat twist my hair by watching videos on YouTube.  At first, the technique eluded me and it seemed like I could never get the twists right.  I was always starting each one over and over.  I kept at it and now it is one of my favorite styles.  The only thing I haven't quite figured out is how to get them to dry faster. 

This weekend I decided to do some flat twisting once again for a soft wavy look.  One thing I figured out is that if I twist in rows from the crown and go back towards my nape, I end up with pretty little spirals that fall down around my face. 

Another tip I picked up over at CurlyNikki.com is to secure each flat twist with a bobby pin so that it doesn't unravel.  Sometimes I use rollers on the ends for a Twist n' Curl or just leave the ends out for a faster drying time.  

Flat Twists in Rows for soft
Curls that frame the face
After I washed and conditioned my hair, I applied Giovanni Direct Leave-In and a little olive oil to seal the moisture in. Then I used my Aloe Vera/Water/Glycerin spray to re-wet each section before detangling with my Denman brush.  After that, I twisted each section until the hair began to come away from the scalp and pinned the twist down before twisting to the ends.  

The next day, it was a teeny bit damp so I took them down and used a diffuser to dry the hair completely.  That night I twisted them again and used Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Replenishing Hair Milk, a little more water and Shea Butter to set the twists for another day.  This time the twists were shiny and the hold lasted a couple more days without re-twisting. This may be my new wintertime style!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails